3121 S. Park Avenue, Herrin, IL 62948 | 1241 E. Walnut St., Carbondale, IL 62901 | 202 E Clark St. West Frankfort, IL 62896(618) 94-BLINK (942-5465) /


Ophthalmologist vs Optometrist

If you run into vision problems, it can be hard to know who to turn to. Many options for eye care in Herrin can be very expensive, so it is important to understand where to look to solve your problem. 


Herrin Ophthalmologist 

Local ophthalmologists commonly have to complete four years of medical school along with four to five years of specialized training. In addition, they have to obtain a Bachelors degree in the field. Local Herrin ophthalmologist professionals, as well as many others around the nation, specialize in eye surgery. Also, they have a deep knowledge of diseases of the eye such as cataracts or glaucoma, and post-surgical eye recovery. While an ophthalmologist is qualified and will perform routine eye exams, their cost is usually higher than that of an optometrist by a significant margin. Ideally, you would see an Ophthalmologist for urgent or serious eye-related medical issues. Ophthalmologists are not limited in the types of operations they can perform, unlike optometrists who can only perform certain, low complexity surgeries. Therefore, save the ophthalmologist visit for vision issues of increased seriousness. 


Herrin Optometrist 

While local Herrin ophthalmologist professionals can be found, you are most likely to use an optometrist for minor issues and checkups. This will not only save you time looking but lots of money as well. Herrin Optometrists usually complete a four-year optometry program to obtain their Doctorate after their Bachelors degree. Many of them also have membership in national and state organizations such as AOA and IOA (American/Illinois Optometry Association) Optometrists do not specialize in very complex surgeries like ophthalmologists do. Optometrists, instead specialize in:

  • Contact lenses
  • Double vision
  • Headaches
  • Computer vision syndrome
  • Dry eye
  • Pediatrics
  • Macular degeneration
  • And other minor problems


In Short

For routine checkups and minor issues within their specialty, it is recommended that you seek an optometrist, as you will cut costs, while still receiving the same level of care. However, for problems of dire seriousness/urgency, such as eye surgery it is recommended that you receive care from a licensed ophthalmologist as soon as possible. If you are looking for affordable eye care and do not want to pay for the higher end, there are plenty of local optometry specialists that will help. Complete Family Eyecare of Herrin will provide quality eye care services for the whole family. Contact us today!

0/5 (0 Reviews)

Share this post

Leave a Reply